Sunday, March 14, 2010

Finally decided

For those of you who haven't already heard, the Peace Corps decision has been made at last and is in motion!  I will be leaving for Guatemala starting in August (my packet says the 10th, but also that it may be subject to change).  I've accepted a placement as a Food Security Facilitator volunteer, which ought to involve plenty of veggie gardening, composting, raising chickens, and such.  I'm quite excited, although also nervous / exhausted / overwhelmed / impatient about the whole thing.  Today I went and got fresh passport pictures taken and am now working on updating my resume in the required format.

I'll spend three months getting trained in Guatemala, and then two years in my site (meaning I'll return home in October 2012, assuming the Mayans were wrong and the world doesn't end).  I'm hoping to have strong enough Spanish skills that I'll be able to take on learning one of the local indigenous languages during training as well.  

This does mean that my plans of attending Rocky Mountain School of Photography have been derailed for the time being.  Realistically it was always a bit of a stretch to think I'd spend every waking hour in class six days a week for the three months directly before heading abroad for another 27 months.  I'm still hoping to go through RMSP Summer Intensive, but it may be a summer 2013 plan instead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment